PRESCRIBING COMPANION APP
The Prescribing Companion App is intended for use by human and animal healthcare professionals
Prescribing Companion App
For the first time, healthcare professionals working in human or animal health, have access to a core repository of antimicrobial treatment guidelines and other prescribing resources, at the point of care.
Both human and animal health standard treatment guidelines are available in one digital platform, supporting prescribers in the drive for Stewardship and better use of antimicrobials, aligned to the global One Health approach.
One Health is an integrated, unifying approach that aims to sustainably balance and optimise the health of people, animals and ecosystems.
The App Aims to
- Make standard treatment guidelines available at the point of care
- Improve accessibility of prescribing resources online via the website or download the App for offline use
- Increase knowledge and awareness of international antimicrobial stewardship and infection prevention control resources
- Support strong country ownership with in- App functions that are adaptable and customisable to meet in-country needs
- Ensure sustainability through training resources and funding
- Foster a One Health approach through shared learning
The App is Live
The App is live in 13 countries including; Bangladesh, Bhutan, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria, Nepal, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Timor-Leste, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe
Dedicated App Champions
Each country has a dedicated App Champion; a superuser for the App; trained to update and maintain the in-country guidelines and resources.
Our App Champions support:
- Country Approvals, obtaining national approvals for hosting guidelines on the App.
- Stakeholder Engagement, facilitating in-country events and working with the relevant Ministries of Human and Animal Health, Information Technology, National Pharmacy Association (or equivalent), Fleming Fund country grantees and sites to promote the App and its functions.
- Delivering training on adoption and App usage for health workers including pharmacists, nurses and doctors.
- Customisation of the App through regular reviews, timely updating of country-specific guidelines when available, in consultation with relevant national authorities and stakeholders.
- Sustainability and proactively supporting the long-term ownership of the App in-country
- Regular updates and feedback to CPA about the Prescribing Companion
The development of the App has been a truly global and collaborative effort and brings guidance to the place it is needed most - in the frontline campaign to reduce AMR and meet the needs of prescribers at the point of care.
Previous Senior Programme Manager (SPARC)
App Development Process
The App was co-developed in collaboration with global and in-country stakeholders, with extensive input from App Champions and In Country Consultants, supported by Tactuum, an established digital health provider.
All content for the country specific prescribing guidelines is provided by individual countries and uploaded on to the App, via a rigorous CPA governance process, which includes getting official Approval from the relevant government ministry.
The App builds on and replaces the CPA’s Microguide, which was a pilot App to support antimicrobial prescribing.
All country specific guidelines are fully developed, owned and managed by the individual country, including any content such as intervention tools, audit resources added onto the App.
Guidelines undergo a rigorous CPA governance process managed by App Champions, before they are published on the App and website. This includes official Approval from the relevant government ministry, editorial and quality checking before Go Live.
The CPA is not liable for any content accuracy and updating, as per our disclaimer.
The detailed Governance process can be found on the App Champion Tools and Resources Page.
Similarly, all international resources available are fully owned by the respective organisations e.g. WHO, CDC and these are embedded into the App as live links to third party websites. These will auto update when new updates are available; the CPA is not responsible for this content.
All guideline content on the App and website are free and open access via Google Play or iOS App Store. Such content can be accessed without a login, users will only need to accept the terms and conditions of the Disclaimer
Access to the data collected on the App is controlled through secure login and permissions for named individuals. Each country will be given access to their country-specific data site/sets as required, via their App Champion. Similarly, editorial rights and App customisation are only done by a designated editor – the App Champion, who holds an account to the Content Management System of the App.
Data collected on the general App usage via Google Analytics is co-owned by CPA and Tactuum.
Data collected via Microsoft Forms is owned by the form owner for example, the intervention recording form on the App is owned by the CPA including any data collected. All data collected is anonymised, for internal use only, to help improve App functions and use.
Data generated from country-specific customised Microsoft Forms is only accessible via the country App Champion and owned by that individual country.
The published guidelines, resources and tools are owned by the relevant country. The CPA does not take any responsibility or liability for the content and completeness of these guidelines, resources or tools.
More details around data and App functions are available in the FAQs.
We work closely with App Champions and the developer to ensure that data needs for each country are met.
"Robust data and effective security is integral to ensure data is managed and accessible by countries to further their stewardship activities ."
Meghna Joshi-von Heyden, Strategic Lead: Partnerships and Advocacy (CPA)
Get the latest
2023 Commonwealth Pharmacists Day – Your Pharmacist, Your Partner in Health About the Day Welcome to the official page for Commonwealth Pharmacists Day, celebrated every
Celebrating our achievements at the Antibiotic Guardian Awards 2023 The sixth Antibiotic Guardian Shared Learning and Awards event took place on the 2nd of May 2023
Recordings From The CPA-FIP Joint Webinar Series About The Webinars We are pleased share recordings from the webinars we hosted in partnership with The International
Launch of CPA-FIP Joint Webinar Series: AMS In Action About The Webinars We are pleased to announce that in partnership with The International Pharmaceutical Federation